Students are strongly encouraged to participate in co-curricular activities at Shoals Christian School. To be eligible for participation, a student must meet criteria in the areas of Academics, Financial Aid, and the Transfer Rule. If there are any questions regarding athletic eligibility, please contact our Athletic Director.
- The student must be fully admitted to Shoals Christian School or registered for the new school year prior to participation, tryouts, etc.
- Every student must have a current year approved physical exam form on file indicating fitness for participation.
- A copy of the student’s certified birth certificate must be on file in the school office.
- A student must have no less than a 70.0 composite numerical semester average for all subjects in which the student was enrolled for the previous semester.
- According to Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA)guidelines, students entering grades 10 – 12 must have passed during the last two semesters in attendance and summer school, if applicable, at least six new Carnegie units with a minimum composite numerical average of 70.0 in those six units. At least four core curriculum courses must be included in those units passed and averaged (English, math, science, and social studies).
- Students entering grades 8 – 9 must have passed during the last two semesters in attendance and summer school, if applicable, at least five new subjects with a minimum composite numerical average of 70.0 in those five subjects.
- Students entering the seventh grade for the first time are automatically considered eligible.
- Students must be in attendance at least three and one half-hours on a given day in order to participate in co-curricular activities that day.
- If any student transfers in and receives financial aid, that student will be ineligible for one year.
- Incoming seventh graders may receive financial aid without penalty.
As a member of the Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA), we are obligated to adhere to the guidelines set forth by the Association. To be eligible for participation in interscholastic athletics, all students enrolling following the sixth grade must reside in the Florence city limits. If the student does not reside in the Florence city limits or has attended another school after the 6th grade, the student will be ineligible for participation in athletics for 365 days after the date of enrollment at SCS.
To participate in athletics according to the AHSAA, residency is a key guideline. When a move is involved, it must be a bona-fide move. The AHSAA Handbook defines a bona-fide move as:
- A student whose parents make a bona-fide move completely out of one school zone into another may transfer all his/her rights and privileges to the member school that serves the area where his/her parents reside.
- The household furniture of the family must be moved into an unoccupied house or apartment.
- All principal members of the family must reside in the new place of residence.
- The original residence should be closed, rented, or disposed of and not used by the family.
- Nine months at the new residence will be required to make a move bona-fide.
If there are any questions regarding athletic eligibility, please contact our Athletic Director.